Lately, it seems that everyone is talking about essential oils and all of its benefits beyond amazing scent. Like many others, we too have become interested in oils as they’re an all natural product with amazing benefits….not to mention anything 100% natural we can get behind pretty easily 🙂
What are essential oils?
An essential oil is powerful plant extracts. It is said to be essential as it contains the “essence of” the plant’s fragrance.
How do you use essential oils?
There are many ways to use essential oils. Common ways include aromatic diffusion, topical application, and dietary consumption. Essentials oils can also be diluted in water – in a bath, as a cold compress, and more.
How do you get started?
There’s lots of information out there about essential oils, and the more common they’re becoming, the easier it seems to get our hands on the product and informed. Since we were very new and didn’t know where to start, so we opted for a Premium Starter Kit from Young Living. This lovely kit came with everything needed to get going including a diffuser.
What do you need to use essential oils?
You don’t need much. A lot of oils can be placed right on the skin. The one item that we’d recommend is a diffuser. We love ours as if has a soft LED light setting. Using a diffuser, all you need to do is add water and 8-12 drops of your favourite oil — mix and match oils to create your own personal blend. We love a lavender and peppermint mix 🙂
What oils should I buy for wellness, home, beauty, etc.?
There are so many ways to use essential oils. We found this robust list of 101 ways from Dr.Axe incredibly helpful as we didn’t know there were so many uses! Our favourites include:
- Clean air: Diffuse cinnamon essential oil in the air and enjoy its anti-microbial properties. We used Thieves and found that it worked incredibly well to remove smells from our home.
- Improve sleep: Lavender oil can alleviate insomnia. Sprinkle a few drops on your pillow to help you fall asleep. We love falling asleep with lavender in our diffuser. Leaves the room smelling like a calm, soothing space.
- Detox bath: Mix lavender oil, epsom salts and sea salt to a warm bath to cleanse and rejuvenate the body.
We have not tried these yet but are very interested:
- Reduce cellulite: Mix five drops of grapefruit essential oil with two teaspoons of coconut oil and massage into dimpled areas
- Thicken hair: Add rosemary to shampoo to naturally thicken hair and increase volume.
What are your favourite essential oils and uses? Share below as we’d love to hear from you!
xo, late & lovely