A few weeks ago we had the pleasure of attending a special dinner at the Bow Valley Ranche, a historical landmark located in Fish Creek Provincial Park. The Midsummer Harvest Dinner focused on tasting quality local cuisine featuring produce and herbs selected from the restaurant’s own backyard! Everything was so fresh and delicious, we’re still reminiscing about the experience.
Upon arrival, we were treated to a complimentary glass of champagne as we wandered around the charming location, taking in the garden and chef’s station in the backyard. Due to weather, the festivities were moved inside, but the venue was decorated so beautifully, it did not take take away at all from the experience.
We originally thought we had to choose one item from each section of the menu, so our inner fat kids rejoiced when we were pleasantly surprised with every single item on the menu (complete with wine pairings from the Okanagan Valley, selected by the in-house Sommelier, Arthur Ledzinksi). Every item included fresh vegetables, herbs, and local meats prepared by Chefs Jenny Kang and Daryl Kerr.
Once everyone was settled with wine in hand, the appetizers started coming out on giant platters, and were served family-style. Truthfully we could’ve filled up on apps alone, there were so many delicious options:
- Caprese (Red Hat Farms heirloom tomatoes, Fior di Latte, vincotto, purple basil from the garden)
- Watermelon (cucumber and chocolate mint from the garden, feta, yuzu vinaigrette)
- Butterleaf Lettuce (from the garden with honey lemon dressing, slivered almonds, and fresh red onion slices)
- Bison and Beef Tartar (which came with a beautifully whipped bowl of horseradish cream, and focaccia crostini with herbs from the garden.)
By this point we were getting pretty full (it didn’t help that we went back for seconds of the salad since they were all so fresh and delicious), and the main courses started to come out:
- Cold Smoked Pan-Seared Salmon (smoked in-house with lemon thyme beurre blanc)
- Roasted Veal Striploin (with smoked cherry jus, the striploin pretty much melted in your mouth)
- Grilled Lamb Chop (served with mint yoghurt and rosemary jus)
- Sides: Roasted Baby Carrots, Purple Cabbage Slaw, Roasted Potatoes, Braised Fennel (it had a zesty orange juice sauce, and was one of our favourites); and Green Beans with double-smoked bacon
When dessert came out on beautiful platters, we obviously couldn’t resist sampling the different items:
- Raspberry Brûlée (hands down, the best crème brûlée we’ve ever tasted. We’re slightly embarrassed to admit we each had two servings…yikes!).
- Hazelnut Nutella Napoleon (SO good. Like a chocolate square of crunchy Nutella)
- Macarons (fresh and delicious)
Overall, it was a lovely evening that featured some of the freshest food we’ve ever tasted. If you’re looking for a special night out, we highly recommend visiting the charming Bow Valley Ranche!
Thank you to Great Events Group for the invite!